Sketchup SKP export

1978.87 In reply to 1978.86 
Hi Simon,

> When a curve is formed from 'joined-up' edges in Sketchup
> the rendering seems fine. Although there is a lower limit on
> size it seems quite small. But generally it will do curves and
> rounded things fine.

I think that the best result would be if the SketchUp display engine automatically chained together a series of small edges like this into a larger "logical edge" so that it could get that improved display without any extra work-arounds...

Have you been able to contact the SketchUp developers to ask that they improve their display engine to do this?

> Is there any way to force the geometry on export/import to
> mimic how Sketchup is representing the curves when they're
> created in Sketchup natively?

It is possible for me to emit polylines in addition to the edges, but I would worry that it would create a kind of "doubled rendering" effect if I just simply duplicated all edges of a model with additional longer polylines.

It is hard to figure out a way to only target just some edges, because the ones that would need it depend on your screen size and zoom factor while in SketchUp, just trying to duplicate only edges that are of a certain fixed absolute size would probably not get it right all the time.

Because it is based on display screen size, it would work better if it was covered better by that styles engine directly inside of SketchUp rather than by trying to hack around limitations...

- Michael