Can this be modelled in Moi?

1952.21 In reply to 1952.10 
Hi gizmo,

> Ok say I didn't want to create the main shape from a sphere or I
> needed it to be more specific shape wise?

It seems like you're still focusing on things a lot from a polygon modeling perspective? I mean here you're focused very much on the final edges and drawing those first.

It is possible to do that like Manz shows above, but really it can be a lot easier if you build a bigger shape that has the surface that you want, and then trim it back.

So if you don't want a perfect sphere as your main shape, draw a different profile and use Revolve or Rail revolve to create a different surface shape, then you can trim that using the same steps as was done with the sphere originally.

For example, if you take these 2 curves, and select the half one as the profile:

Then you can run Construct / Revolve / Rail revolve, and pick the longer one as the rail curve, and then pick the revolve axis between the 2 ends of the open curve, and you will make this kind of "customized sphere":

Also after you have completed the rail revolve, you can turn on control points for the curves and adjust them to update the revolve.

This can be an easier way to create a more customized starting surface because there are fewer curves involved to define it, and it will avoid some of the problems of trying to create a surface to a more complex boundary directly, which is possible but tends to be hard to control where points pinch together.

It takes a bit of getting used to if you are used to polygons, but with NURBS it can often be a good idea to build things larger than you need at first with more simple curve layouts, then trim or boolean them to produce your final result, rather than trying to build to the final outline directly.

- Michael