Drawing on surfaces

1621.3 In reply to 1621.2 
Hi Danny,

> Just those commands ? can it pick up points on the surface
> when drawing a freeform curve ?

It'll work as a snap in other drawing commands too, just those ones will place points individually on the surface and won't track along the surface normal plane.

For the freeform curve drawing, the result tends to be kind of shrunken down slightly to the inside of the sphere, kind of like if you were to snap a few curve points on to a circle. But if you use more points, it will be only shrunken down a little bit and you can still use a curve like that to trim a hole in a surface with Edit/Trim.

Maybe it would be a good idea if I could detect if all the points of a freeform curve were snapped on to a surface, and automatically project the curve on to the surface in that case instead of having it in the shrunken-down type state, but there can be some tricky things about that... That might have to wait for a while.

There are a few more interesting aspects to surface snapping that I'm going to experiment with in the next couple of days, I may be able to do some stuff for tracking along a surface normal with a straight-snap line (like tangent or perp tracking off of curves), and maybe enable a kind of grid overlaid on planar surfaces...

- Michael