ArcCAM

11543.10 In reply to 11543.8 
Thanks for your feedback, stefano. I guess I should have given a little more background. My business is building CNC machines. We use LinuxCNC software, and I have modified it extensively to suit our needs. We are about to release a LinuxCNC touchscreen that runs on an embedded Raspberry Pi5. And BTW Mach3 uses the open source core gcode processor from the LinuxCNC project, so anything that runs on Mach3 would also run on LinuxCNC.

I am a Vectric dealer, and while I ackowledge that their software is by far the easiest to use CAM software out there, the gcode it spits out is bloated to say it nicely. For example, it will break any arc that is not a multiple of 90 degrees into segments. It also does not do canned cycles, so just doing a peck drill operation it generates a line for every plunge, and every retract, when you can do that in a single line of code with a canned cycle.

I am also a Fusion360 partner and its probably the best CAM software out there, but it still has its issues and it requires you to either import a mesh, or build your model in their parametric modeler. I can model so much faster in Moi. And parametric modelers stifle creativity with its bloat. So I am eager to keep my workflow inside of Moi as much as possible.

The purpose of this project is to make use of the simple arcs that most mechanical parts are designed with, canned cycles, and built-in pocketing operations that controls like the Haas can do. Anything beyond that is extra. It looks like Michael has done a good job of building an API that will require this to sit outside of the core of Moi.

>Len

EDITED: 19 Sep by PROBOTIX