My most recent work in MOI...

Michael, thank you very much.

Yes, this special case scenario could be helpful for fillets from a plane to a bent area.
It could be also interesting for the N-Gons setting to have a checkbox that gives "mesh-cleanness" a higher priority than the angle, so the algorithm would try to maintain a certain subdivision throughout one NURBS patch to get more quad polys.
This could also lead to a Subdivision-Surface enabled output in the end, which would be just great to have. ;-)

Or the other way around: Obj-cage import to something like t-splines ;-)

My problems are almost always with the seams between fillets and surfaces, but I just found that if you import an obj into XSI and let it make separate objects out of the obj-groups, it will not import the user-normals at all (XSI 6.5). If you let it create clusters out of the groups it seems to work better, but I'm not sure if the result is really correct. I will further test it and report if I find a route that really works reliable.

EDIT: XSI does the user normal import just fine, no matter if I select groups as objects or groups as clusters. I can no longer reproduce the above problem, so it must have been some kind of user error I guess. Sorry for that.

That other thread you linked to is really cool and very helpful - sorry I missed that.
XSI is basically perfect for this kind of export since it handles millions of polygons without much problem. But some parts of the software are really aged - One of the programmers once admitted that their IGES importer is over 10 years old <LOL> OMG
It messes up trims all the time so I no longer try to use NURBS directly...

I fully understand your point about introducing new bugs into 1.0, but I hope you will continue to develop MoI in this kind of open manner, so that registered users can always get the latest beta to try out the new stuff and give some feedback and don't have to wait all the way up to Version 2.0 ;-)

Thank you very much!

Thomas Helzle

P.S. One question: When I first write a message, I have no formating toolbar on the top of the message window (for things like image links etc.) but if I edit an existing message, there is a full featured formating toolbar above the test field. Is it possible to enable that toolbar always? Thanks!

EDITED: 1 Nov 2007 by THOMASHELZLE